This year several Minnesota restaurants will again participate in the James Beard “Blended Burger Battle”. The battle is part of a campaign to encourage healthier eating which it aims to do by “blending” your traditional ground beef burger patty with a healthier blend of mushrooms. Restaurants compete for the title of tastiest “blended” burger.
All in all, eleven Minnesota restaurants will be competing, but the judgment, that’s left up to you! Eaters are encouraged to head to the website to cast their votes for their favorite mushroomy hybrid.
And This Year’s Blended Burger Participants Are:
Barnes and Noble Kitchen, Edina
Bryant Lake Bowl, Minneapolis
Bulldog NE, Minneapolis
Chef Shack Ranch, Minneapolis
The Freehouse, Minneapolis
Gigi’s Cafe, Minneapolis
MERCY Bar and Dining Room, Minneapolis
Pour Wine Bar & Bistro, Otsego
Red Stag Supperclub, Minneapolis
Tado Steakhouse, Welch
As for what to expect? A few burger examples include:
- Barbette’s mushroom infused Peterson Farm Limousin cheeseburger with charred scallion aioli, and soy giardiniera with mixed greens
- Bryant Lake Bowl’s Peterson Farms Limousin Beef kim chi burger with gochu pickles, shredded red cabbage, and sesame mayoMERCY’s Shroomy Lucy with a freshly ground Prime Niman Ranch beef mix of brisket, sirloin and chuck combined with freshly chopped mushrooms, stuffed with brie, and topped with ramp mustard, watercress and pickled ramps.
- MERCY’s Shroomy Lucy with a freshly ground Prime Niman Ranch beef mix of brisket, sirloin and chuck combined with freshly chopped mushrooms, stuffed with brie, and topped with ramp mustard, watercress, and pickled ramps.
- Gigi’s Cafe’s Juicy Lucy stuffed with chopped marinated mushrooms, Butterkase cheese, herbed compound butter, topped with red onion, butter lettuce, porcini-fig jam, on a challah-style bun, served with mixed greens
- Red Stagg’s Shepherd Song Farm lamb and duxelles Juicy Lucy stuffed with chevre, topped with lamb bacon jam, chermoula sauce, and arugula on a homemade milk bun
Sounds like a pretty solid burger showing and you can get all of these burgers up until July 31st, 2017 and one lucky voter will win an all expenses paid trip for two to the 2018 Blended Burger event at the James Beard House. You can click this link to cast your vote!
[acx_slideshow name=”Blended Burger Battle”]